Saturday, June 25, 2011

Servanthood

Yep. That.s right. Servanthood.
It's something I have been thinking about a lot lately and something that God has really been teaching me about. So starting today I'm going to study what the Bible has to say about being a servant.
It's also the reason I didn't get to go back to sleep this morning after working...
I'm thinking I might start writing a book on my struggle with servanthood, and the results of my study.
Here's what I have so far:


I was probably around the age of 12 when I first took a questionnaire to discover my spiritual gift. I was a server. A Server? What kind of answer was that?
Suffice to say I wasn't pleased. Because in my mind being someone's servant was not a gift. Not to mention anyone could do it, it's not like doing other peoples chores for them took much skill. Besides I really wanted to be a prophet. I mean who wouldn't? Read about the prophets in the Bible, they were people who got to hear straight from God, got to deliver messages, they were just plain awesome! But no I was suppose to be a slave. Or servant. Whatever.
Apparently my dad was also a server, so I felt a little better because anything that made me more like my dad had to be a good thing. But then I discovered something else. My older sister had also taken the test. She was an Exhorter/Organizer. At the time I really had no idea what Exhorter meant, but I knew one thing – it wasn't good for me. Because as I read more about the different spiritual gifts I came to realize the basically my sister's gift was to see people as tools, be in charge, and tell other people (specifically servers, who 'like' being bossed around) what to do. Aka – Exhorters take advantage of Servers. And if there is one thing that really ticks me off it's when people are taken advantage of, specifically if it's me.

And so began my seven year rebellion against my God given gift and purpose.  

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really deep. I totally think you should write the book. I'll see ya tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete