Sunday, June 24, 2012

Breakfast with the Crawfords


Wow it's been an eventful week!
Started a new house on Tuesday, and are making good progress – gotten most of all of the floors in and should be able to start drywalling tomorrow. Yes!

Thrusday was a day of fasting and prayer for the local pastors. And well..... it maybe wasn't the greatest idea. We discovered that fasting while working construction in a warm humid climate just don't mesh well. I was shaking so bad in the afternoon that Justin made me sit down and take a break, while Simon was laying on the floor in the other room because he stood up to fast and got dizzy. So yeah – we did make it till the end of the day – but we probably won't be doing that again anytime soon.

On Friday we got to meet our homeowners for the first time. The minute the wife stepped through the door she totally lost it – and kept crying until they left (which was quite some time later). She was just overwhelmed by memories, but also so grateful for the work that we were doing. We learned a little about them and their family – And I guess they have two daughters but one who has been in the hospital for some time ( she is home now) but has basically been mentally unstable since the tsunami. Interesting thing is though that the minute that they walked in the house I could feel the Lord telling me that I really needed to pray for them – like REALLY strongly. And before they left I got to– really for the wife and the daughter. And after that the wife kept looking at me and bowing and saying thank you over and over – it seems like it meant the world to her. So that was really cool. Please keep them in prayer – especially since they informed us that they do 'honor their ancestors' but the don't have a religion – and they seem soft and open to us. Please pray that we will get to see them more and for their salvation.
After that we worked for a short time and then our crew along with Steve's crew were all treated to lunch by 'Yankee'-san, the second homeowner that Justin worked with when he came over. He took us all out to a super nice place where we had soba and tempura. So good!

Yesterday (saturday) we worked for half a day. Took our morning break at 'Yankee'-san's to see how his house is coming along, and visit. And while we were there (unfortunately we had no interpreter this whole time...) they were showing us pictures of their daughter and stuff and then they start going back and forth – him and his wife – and then next thing I know they want me to stand up and they're trying to figure out how tall I am – so they measure me with this stick and leave the room and I'm super confused and Nigel and Justin are just laughing and telling me 'they're seeing how deep they need to dig the hole'. Anyways – they returned a minute later with a beautiful blue yukata – a summer kimono – which they had me try on then gave to me as a gift. Yeah – I felt quite honored since I'd only met them like 2 days ago.....
After that we came back to base grabbed some stuff and Becca and Lesley, and left for Marumori (Katie the cook's home) for the weekend. Got lost on the way there but eventually made it. It was SUPER gorgeous! Closer to the mountains – and we went to a park with a river and waterfall and sat there for a good couple of hours – it was soooo refreshing and relaxing.
For dinner we ate with Katie and Faith and their mom, then went to Naomi's house where we hung out with her family till late in the night – it felt kind of like a night back home – with like 15 people in one little house. It was fun. Went to bed totally exhausted.

This morning we had breakfast with Naomi's family – felt like I was back at home
Then went with them to church in Sendai, where I was once again talked to about teaching or interning at the Kindergarden that they have there and it looks like they want me to come and just talk with some of the people there (supervisors and stuff) on Saturday, and see what sort of opportunities they have for me..... kinda strange...
I've never really asked around about the school but everywhere I go people keep trying to get me to either look at it or apply or something – I feel like I'm being scouted out. So anyways we'll see.
Guess we'll see what the Lord has for me.

Back at base now – waiting for my clothes to be done in the dryer and then take a cake out for Rebekah. Thinking I could seriously use a nap right about now.....

Hope you all are doing well! And thank you to everyone who has email me in the last week or so – I love getting updates from home – and I regret that I can't get back to everyone like I want to!
I'm SO busy - as perhaps you can tell?! And this isn't everything - just the major events of the week.....
So please forgive my lack of communication. *bows apologetically* 

Until next time - live long and prosper!


  1. Erin, you do such a great job in letting us share with you what your days are like. Sounds good. I'll continue to pray that God will show you the way He wants you to go. Wherever HE takes you, you will be a success. Don't worry about answering emails. This is good. :)

  2. Prayin' for you girl! Sounds like you are having an awesome time! :)